Name: Paige & Michael Blackburn, Asher, Micah and Lilah
Location: Mapleton Hill, Boulder, Colorado
Size: 2,100 square feet, plus 320 square foot Carriage House
Years lived in: 3 Months, Own
About a year ago the Blackburn family decided to move to Mapleton Hill, one of Boulder's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods. Known for its Victorian mansions, hundreds of maple trees, access to the area's best hiking trails and close proximity to downtown, it's one of the most picturesque neighborhoods in Boulder.
A listing surfaced and the Blackburns jumped at the opportunity, beginning a very long (and unexpected) courtship with their dream home. They lost the house to another buyer just days before the closing. Paige, an interior designer, was devastated, but their persistent realtor came to the rescue and found the family something even better.
Michael and Paige had hesitations about the 1880s Victorian until they walked into the entry and stood at the bottom of the stairway. Once inside Paige absolutely knew this was the house her family belonged in. Fortunately, she could see past the seven layers of wallpaper (walls AND ceiling!) and had a perfect solution for the staircase that was already sporting paint and shellac and would need to be completely stripped and refinished. They also fixed up the Carriage house for family and friends to stay in while visiting (no, you can't come for a visit, it's currently occupied!) and use the space as a rec room when there aren't any guests.
Every single room in the Blackburn's home is a visual treat. Paige travels to the Marburger Farm Antique Show each fall to buy one of a kind, vintage goods for her home. She has done a truly outstanding job of combining unique pieces with a modern twist, all while making a cozy and comfortable home for her family.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Vintage eclectic.
Inspiration: Design books, magazines and blogs.
Favorite Element: The open floor plan and original architectural elements.
Biggest Challenge: Restoring the plaster ceilings and walls. When we purchased our home, there were at least seven layers of wallpaper on both the walls and ceilings.
What Friends Say: My friends say that my home is warm and cozy, perfect for a family.
Biggest Embarrassment: The bathroom off the kitchen. It can be awkward at times.
Proudest DIY: I've been a DIYer for years. I'm most proud of the tufted headboard in my bedroom, probably because it was the most challenging.
Biggest Indulgence: My crystal chandeliers. I can't seem to stop collecting them.
Best Advice: My favorite homes evolve over time and truly reflect the homeowner's personality. Take time in collecting pieces you love and don't be afraid to mix styles
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Exterior: Benjamin Moore Northern Cliffs
• Interior: Benjamin Moore White Dove
- • Stair runner paint color: Benjamin Moore Sweet Vibrations
• Paintings: Melissa Stuart, Boulder
- • Chairs: Restoration Hardware
- • Pendant Lights: Barreveld
- • Chair: Vintage with Designers Guild fabric
• Headboard: DIY
- •Sink: Brockway Sink by Kohler
• Shower Curtain: PB Teen
• Rug: Ikea
• Tub: Vintagetub.com
• Mirror: Ikea
- • Guest Bathroom Wallpaper: "Best in Show" by Osborne & Little
Thanks, Blackburn Family!
(Images: Ashley Poskin )
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.