Name: Parvez Taj, artist, designer and entrepreneur
Location: Hollywood Hills neighborhood, Los Angeles, California
Parvez Taj is the founder and creative director of Parvez Michel, Inc, an art and design company that produces modern and contemporary artwork and accessories for homes. If you've ever seen his work, you'd know he treasures global influences, urban spaces and bold colors and patterns. His home in California fits his aesthetic perfectly.
This is my personal vintage boho meets uber modern style. I live on a cliff in the Hollywood Hills in what feels like a tree house, overlooking the city. I used the place like an ongoing art installation. What I did:
• I removed three old layers of plywood and tiles from the balcony all the way to the original flooring and then detailed it. I removed the existing balcony railing and installed an antique iron railing designed from the spanish colonial revival style.
• I removed the carpet and had the concrete floor polished. I inlayed the entire ceiling with reclaimed douglas fur scored from barns and warehouses in California. I used my cubes and hanging Morrocan lanterns and modern pendants in the trees for light.
• I custom built a 20' long table made with 6x6" redwood beams and put two 18' long benches made with 6x6" redwood beams. It comfortably sits 2 to 20 people.
• All surfaces and one outdoor wall were covered with "reclaimed" resins from 3-form reclaimed bin.The resins used were either 3-form's Chroma and Groovy. I made my work desk with a big chunk of resin from 3-form.
• I used thousands of nails and sisal string in between doors and spaces to bring everything together. I removed the living room doors and strung it between inside and out to blur the lines and bring the outdoors in.
More images can be found at his Facebook page.
Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
(Images: Richard Horn)