Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Cozy creative
Inspiration: My mom always made our house look beautiful growing up, even though we weren’t well off. My father was stationed in the Army throughout Europe, which exposed me to lots of different cultures, styles, textures, and colors. When we returned to the States, so did a fusion of inspirations.
Favorite Element: My couch underneath the only window in the house without bars. When the morning light strikes the deep rich colors of the green bushes that line the windows, it makes me happier than can be.
Biggest Challenge: Space! Space! Space! I had to lose some furniture when I moved in here. I miss my father’s Tiffany style stained glass lamp and all my paintings are in the garage on the walls. It was a purge frenzy but I managed to get majority of my things in the house and am quite happy with the results.
What Friends Say: "Are you an artist?" I wish…
Biggest Embarrassment: That I have a fiberglass bathtub instead of beautiful porcelain and tile. And that one of the cabinet covers in the kitchen is cream, while the others are white. It drives me bananas.
Proudest DIY: The closet in my bedroom. My friend came and installed shelves and a large rod across one entire wall of the bedroom and I think it’s a pretty good solution to a massive storage dilemma.
Biggest Indulgence: Hiring a painter to paint the house as the previous tenant had used very dark colors on the walls, which made the space seem smaller than it truly is.
Best Advice: Start with the pieces that you love and build from there: one or two pieces per room and everything else can grow from that concept.
Dream Sources: Modernica, Dwell, Denmark 50, Lizzie's Antique Hardware, Walnut Wallpaper
- • ecru and white with black accents
- • Black scroll wall sticker art: Blik Art
• Renaissance pillows: Inheritance shop
• 1940's vintage cabinet: street find
- • Desk and filing cabinet: IKEA — their office solutions are pretty hard to beat, especially for a temporary space
• Kikkerland paper scroll chalkboard: Uncle Jer’s
- • Dishtowel curtains: Anthropologie
• Globe hanging planter with the succulents in moss and wood chips: Rolling Greens
• Pot rack: Crate & Barrel
• Café table: another find at IKEA
- • Hanging closet: The Container Store
• Artwork: Sheppard Fairey signed prints
• Authentic Brass art rail hangers: found at an estate sale in Silver Lake years ago
• Bedding: Target
- • Silver birds: Uncle Jer’s
• Shower curtain and soap dispenser: Target
• Mirrored vanity tray: Urban Outfitters
Images: Asher Hung
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.