Every 4th of July, the classic colors of the flag take center stage. Turns out the patriotic red, white and blue, or variations of the shades, work well all year round in the design world. Here are some sophisticated, subtle takes on red, white, and blue which can be used to create a quietly patriotic look, without a flag in sight. Some tips of incorporating the preppy color scheme, without verging into "theme room" territory:
• Stay away from royal blue and fire engine red. Instead try pairing different shades, like muted navy mixed with bright coral. Or french blue with orange-red. It's a way of paying homage to the same color families.
• Keep upholstery neutral/white, and add pops of blue and red via accessories, pillows and throws.
• Appoint a room in blue and white wallpaper, and accessorize with red, or go the other route and use red wallpaper and accessorize with blue.
• Bring in some red or blue using fresh flowers. Red carnations are fun.
1. Seven 12 Magazine via Tobi Fairley
2. Elle Decor
4. House to Home
5. Color Outside the Lines.
2. Habitually Chic
4. Interiors by Studiom via Coastal Living
5. Decor Pad
(Images: As credited above)