Starting out, we literally had only a mattress, and because the room is rather small— 12' x 12'— we decided to leave it without a frame so as not to take up any more visual space. We did create a headboard out of a mantel, which you may have read about just about this time last year, and if you didn't you can check it out here. The whole project came to just under $60.
• 2 EKARP lamp bases from Ikea = $20
• 2 RIPE lamp shades from Ikea= $12
• 1 Gallon of Restoration Hardware's Pale Silver mixed in Benjamin Moore's self-priming Aura paint, matte finish= $54. One coat is all it took to go from garish green to soothing gray, and no priming— well worth the price-tag!
• Target's Simply Shabby Chic Smocked Bedding= $79 (I was dead-set on anthroplogie's cirrus bedding but at $300+ for the set, I had to settle for the simpler option.)
• parasol from Pearl River= $20. This was originally intended as a light cover, but once I hung it on a random nail already in the wall to keep it out of harm's way until I had time to install it, I fell in love with it as wall decor.
We decided to leave the artwork purposefully minimal and understated so as to preserve the sense of calm and also as a counter to the room's slightly frilly feminine side. I love the spare studio vibe that unframed paintings give off, especially in contrast to the gold accents.
(Images: Leah Moss)