The back corner of my garden has been an eyesore ever since we had to remove our raised vegetable bed (due to a very annoying vermin issue!). We've tossed around many ideas for the small footprint, from building a tiny greenhouse, to a raised pallet deck. We've even considered a small deck surrounding a hot tub! With no clear vision in sight, I hit my garden design books, magazines and saved Pinterest images to hatch an idea so I won't have to spend another summer staring at the empty pile of soil housing an enormous bed of weeds. And just like that, I finally determined I'm going to attempt a gravel patio.
Here are some examples inspiring me:
1. Pea gravel was used as the terrace floor under the table of this outdoor dining space. Cottage Living magazine via MSN Real Estate.
2. This modern tropical courtyard design by Glenna Partridge Garden Design is the image that sealed the deal for me — a small space with enough room for a couple of lounge chairs. Via Houzz.
3. An urn is centered as the focal point of this Mediterranean gravel garden. Spotted on Houzz.
4. The color of the gravel softens the steely grey wall color while also providing an economical way to cover an expansive space. Garden Studio Design via Shine your Light.
5. Gravel is an ideal surface for this modern firepit. The grey stones are a nice contrast against the rusty brick backdrop. From Lonny.
6. One-quarter crushed gravel was chosen to cover this space over pavers or bricks because of its affordability. From Design Sponge.
7. This is a great image that reflects the versatility of hardscaping with gravel. Bluestone pavers are mixed with pea gravel to define this geometric Brooklyn garden. Susan Welti of Foras Studio via Gardenista.
8. The grey, white and tan of this specked pea gravel lends a beachy feel to the raised patio. The outlying timber keeps the pebbles in place. From This Old House.
What are your experiences hardscaping with gravel? I look forward to showing you the before and after images of my garden makeover, along with any tips I learn along the way. Stay tuned...