I'm one of those visitors that cat owners probably dread: I can smell a litter box a block away, and I'm not charmed by a cat doing its business in plain sight of the dinner table. Any of these attempts at making the litter box more discreet will go a long way towards endearing your darling cat to guests like me...
Successfully eliminate pet odors with John Gleeson Connolly:
1. Here's the first of my three favorite IKEA hacks, this time from Bella Pop. IKEA should really get into the litter box game.
2. IKEA Hackers turned IKEA's Faktum, Applad, and Besta into an ultra-modern kitty cupboard.
3. Ikea Hack: Contemporary Litter Box is nice and compact and only cost $74 to put together.
4. Fred's DIY Self Ventilating Cat Litter Box Project is genius and has step-by-step instructions if you are very, very handy.
5. Wine Case Recycling Use #37: Litter Box is a stylish idea, assuming you have wine crates left after making your underbed storage and modular entryway system!
6. A Pretty Way To Hide Kitty Litter utilizes custom curtains to both hide the boxes and (attempt to) block the smell.
7. If you've got more dollars than hacking skills, Modern Cat's Litter Box Hider is perfect for you.
8. If you have even more dollars, you'll want the lovely Standard Cabinet from Modernist Cat (Modern Cat's bitter rival, I have decided).
9. Sky Mall's Designer Catbox Enclosure looks very nice- but would you really want to keep it right next to the couch?
10. The cheapest, most easy-install option I've found is a litter box privacy screen, like this one for $9.95 from Amazon. There are times I'm so relieved nobody sees my search history-
11. Pet's Best Products Red Clay Litter Box makes one consider, is a giant fake plant in a faux-terra cotta pot preferable to a litter box? And if that fake plant is $179.95 + $28.95 for the liner?
12. Where's the best place to hide the litter box? OUTSIDE. Hawks Will Custom Woodwork handcrafts litter boxes designed to be kept outdoors. They are beautiful and insulated and are designed to be used with heating pads.
(Image credits: Bella Pop; IKEA Hackers; Flickr user armst under CC BY 2.0; Fred Beck; Apartment Therapy; Lauren Ackil Photography; Modern Cat; Modernist Cat; Sky Mall; Amazon; Pet's Best Products; Hawks Will Woodworking)