Whether you and your pet have been cohabitating for awhile or you are thinking of adopting soon, you'll want to review this list to make sure you and your pets can live safely and happily.
- Keep the toilet lid closed While Fido might love getting a drink every now and then, toilets can contain harmful chemicals from cleaners that could become dangerous to thirsty pets
- Keep medications, cleaning supplies and other reachable cabinets safely locked We knew a cat who's favorite hiding spot was under the kitchen sink next to all the cleaning supplies. While this particular pet was satisfied with just laying there, some pets might like to lick, smell or chew on these harmful bottles
- Put a tight lid on the trash can Not only do you not want to come home after a long day of work to pick up all your trash off the kitchen floor, trash can contain harmful things for pets to eat
- Becareful with insecticide use As much as you may hate bugs in your home, those powerful doses of chemical to kill bugs could harm pets. Read labels carefully and try and use more natural products when possible
- Protect exposed electrical cords and electrical outlets Some pets just can't resist chewing on these dangerous items
- Take care that window screens and doors are securely attached No one wants their favorite pet accidentally escaping or worse, falling out of a window. Make sure your home is safe from little escape artists!
- Make sure to keep sinks and bathtubs rinsed of all cleaning chemicals and make-up/hair product residue To some pets, these leftover chemicals all over the bathroom might prove tempting to taste
- Avoid using dangerous and harmful houseplants We all know how much pets love to nibble on greenery within reach
Tell us how you keep your pets safe or any cautionary tales you've come across before. We want to hear about how you and your pet share a living space safely!
[Photo credit: Taken from Sittercity]