Name: Annette and Phil Englander
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Size: 900 square feet
Years lived in: 22 years; Owned
Husband and wife duo Phil and Annette share a Brooklyn home that beautifully displays their collective creative skills. Phil, a cabinet maker, has thoughtfully constructed custom built pieces that add to what makes the home unique. Annette, an artist as well, paints using a technique for adding color to silk. Her whimsical designs, created using a technique she learned growing up in Germany, can be framed and mounted, placed on the front of a greeting card, or used to decorate a pillow. Together, the two have a very special, warm and inviting home that filled with handmade touches.
The couple's styles blend well in the home. Clever customizations, like the built in wine rack in the kitchen, and a piece of the wall removed from the living room to allow for more light to enter the sitting area, were executed by Phil, while Annette, in addition to the paintings she contributes, also has a great eye for design.
In fact, Annette co-owns Otto, a popular boutique in the area, along with friend and fellow Brooklyn resident Deirdre. These chic friends have style to spare, each with a home that shows off their own unique taste. Deirdre and her husband Vito's home was profiled here last year.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Wiener Werkstätte.
Inspiration: Koloman Moser.
Favorite Element: The layout and the great view of Greenwood Cemetery
Biggest Challenge: Not having a balcony, garden, or roof deck.
Biggest Embarrassment: The finish on the piano.
Proudest DIY: The kitchen remodel.
Biggest Indulgence: The kitchen remodel.
Best Advice: Adding the space in the living room wall has allowed for more light to enter the room.
Dream Sources: Stores in the Hudson Valley, Design Within Reach, and inspiration from Dwell Magazine.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS:
- Benjamin Moore in Atrium White, Ralph Lauren in Kayak Yellow
- Paintings handed down from parents
- George Nelson Clock - DWR
- Couch - DWR
- Chairs - Eames
- Tables, shelves, cabinets - Englander Cabinetry
- Paintings - Jan Kolata and Rob Barth
- Lamp - FLOS
- Print - Cynthia Back
- Remodel by Englander Cabinetry inspired by Frankfurt kitchen of Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky
- Lamp - FLOS
- Paintings - Annette Englander
- Furnishings - Englander Cabinetry
- Niko Kralj Rex Folding Lounge Chair - DWR
- Frescoes - Carole Parker
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.