With Earth Day coming up this Friday, why not celebrate with a Picnic for the Planet in the great outdoors? During the next week, folks all over the world will be heading to their favorite outside spots to enjoy the some good food, good company and good surroundings.
The Nature Conservancy has come up with the idea to celebrate Earth Day by taking our planet out for lunch this week. People in nearly 400 cities are participating. So, with a few days to plan, you can gather up a group of friends or coworkers to celebrate our planet in the great outdoors.
They have 5 tips to help you eat sustainably at your picnic:
1. Eat Smart - Become a savvy shopper and know where your food and water come from. 77% of Americans who don't have their own private well do not know where their water is sourced from. You can find that out here.
2. Eat Local - the shorter the distance your food has to travel means it's using fewer resources to ship it, as well as better ensuring its freshness and it being in season. Find resources on eating locally here.
3. Eat Sustainably - the oceans used to seem so vast that they were thought to be inexhaustible. We know differently now. Find out more about sustainable seafood and becoming a selective ominvore.
4. Eat Green - eating more vegetables and fruits seems like a no-brainer for your own health, but adding plants to your diet is good for the planet, too. They help curb greenhouse gasses and slow deforestation.
5. Eat Out - celebrate the planet by eating outdoors and take some time to enjoy the environment that we all care so much about preserving.