One drizzly day over the winter, we found ourselves at a friend's home. After an afternoon spent gripping about the weather and how we couldn't wait for sunny days, she plucked us out of our doldrums by setting up dinner as a picnic on the floor. Now that sunny days are here, we're jonesing to picnic for real. Whether you do it in your home, your backyard or you take it to the beach, a movie in the park or a concert by the lake, here's some stuff you might want to cart along.
- What's a picnic without wine? We've always admired those people who unrolled carefully wrapped stemware for their outdoor dining. Too much work for us. Instead, we're loving acrylic stemware that looks like its glass cousin. We'll pick these up from Cost Plus and leave our worries about breakage behind.
- Our picnics always include a baguette and a tablecloth from Provence in the south of France. Williams Sonoma has them so you don't have to travel. In red, white, blue and khaki, click here. Don't forget to get the matching napkins!
- While we're at Cost Plus, we'll probably also pick up these totes. Not only are they collapsible, but they're insulated to keep our food at just the right temperature.
- Sometimes we like to mix it up with a specialty cocktail. An acrylic shaker from Williams Sonoma lets us do that in style.
- This cutlery case from Target includes a cheese board.
- Sure you could just have some squeeze packets of ketchup. But if you go to the trouble of making your own or your eats need some more exotic toppings, try this condiment tray from Sur La Table
- We use these glass containers to store our food in our fridge and for carting it along on picnics. Yeah, they're glass but we've found them to be pretty sturdy.
- Friends aren't usually the only guests at a picnic. Flies often invite themselves. Keep them away with these Mesh Dome Plate Covers
- No, we didn't forget the plates. We got these Bamboo plates while we were at Cost Plus.