1) Look how you live: Comfort, convenience and harmony in your layout are most important. Your layout should work best for you in your space.
2) Multi-task a room: Just because you sleep in your bedroom, doesn't mean it can't double as an office or library space as well.
3) Window? Sure, why not?: When every square foot of wall and floor space is prime real estate, don't overlook using your windows for more then seeing through. If you need the wall space but there's a window, try placing your couch, desk or shorter book case in front of the window.
4) Scale and Balance: When placing your furniture in an unexpected place, still consider the scale of the pieces and balance in the room.
5) Virtual Floorplan: If you aren't quite sure what it would look like if you placed your dining room table in the family room, try creating a virtual floor plan to help you decide. Check out Floorplanner.com for a free design service.
For more design tips:
[Title image via The Inspired Room]