Scarlet Runner Beans are pretty great all around, a good plant to try if you have a warm sunny spot, have never grown anything or want to do a fun activity with kids.
And here are the reasons why...
- The seeds are huge, easy to handle and sow.
- They germinate quickly, so you would see them growing in about a week.
- They are best started when the weather is warm - even now would not be too late.
- They give a great show, with bright flowers and big leaves, climbing up to 10' in the right circumstances.
- They love to climb and it's fun to grow them on a trellis, gate, or bamboo supports.
- They have beautiful flowers and also produce beans. You would at least get flowers, and if you are lucky you could also cook the beans you harvest.
Here are a few online sources if you can't find them locally:
matt at apartment therapy dot com