Why Hakonechloa macra is a great garden addition:
- It's beautiful in all seasons (just look at these photos!).
- Particularly nice when the wind blows through it.
- In NYC it is a perennial and will come back the following year.
- Slow growing, but can become a great groundcover.
- Good in both sun and shade.
- Does well in containers.
- Easily divided when it grows larger.
- No major pest or disease problems.
Feel free to add your pros/cons to the comments below~
Dave's Garden website has basic information and glowing praise for the plant.
The Brownstoner post with the designer/owner's comments is here.
This space belongs to a garden designer, Tyler Horsley, and you can see more of his projects on his website. The top photos were via Brownstoneer, but the other seasonal photos are via Tyler's photo gallery.
matt at apartment therapy dot com