Once considered cheap, forgettable filler at the bottom of the party favor sack, plastic animals are taking center stage in so many craft projects lately that we've decided to declare them the new birds. So go ahead, put a plastic animal on it. Here are 10 projects we love to help get you started.
- Animal Butt Magnets. Designed by Steph Mantis, these magnetized rear ends will run you $14 at Urban Outfitters if you don't feel like making some yourself.
- Lion knockers. Wooden craft store plaques and drapery rings turn these plastic lions into regal knockers.
- DIY Animal Candleholders. What a creative way to add a little bling to a birthday cake!
- Toy Mirror. Make it monochromatic and the texture of all these funny little toys totally jumps off the frame.
- Plastic Animal Bookends. Get out your sharpest craft knife and whip up a set of these hilarious bookends.
- DIY Painted Jars. Storage jars with animals on top. Why? Because it's so cute!
- Magnetic Animal Photo Holders. Put those little 4 legged friends to work holding photos.
- Birthday Cake Decor. Not crafty in the kitchen? Animals atop a cake is easy, even if not edible.
- Dinosaur Planter. Got a really big animal sitting around? Just add a little dirt!
- Communicating Through Small Plastic Animals. Camilla Fabbri of Family Chic lets animals do the talking when she hears herself reminding her kids to do the same things over and over.
(Images: 1. Steph Mantis 2. Katie Steuernagle 3. Jenny Batt/Hank + Hunt 4. Christina Elaine CEO 5. Mad in Crafts 6. Dan Duchars/House To Home 7. PhotoJojo 8. Kelly Guenther 9. The Thrillz of the Hillz 10. Family Chic)