Here's a concept design showcased over at Quirky.com which we think has some commendable ideas for wrangling and organizing power cables that often snake down from our desks. The Plug Hub is an under the desk powerstrip housing which not only conceals most everything away, but also offers three cord anchors to wrap around excess cabling.
Perfect situation where cable management seems in dire need
Plug Hub features:
- Three openings on the top of the unit direct your cords neatly to your power strip.
- Three integrated cord anchors let you wrap up and hide longer cords.
- Sit Plug Hub on its rubber bottom or on its back, or mount it to a wall or the bottom of a desk. Holes on the bottom of the unit also let you attach your power strip directly to the unit.
- 3.5" x 10.5" x 9.5"
- Made from rigid plastic with a rubber “foot” on the bottom.
- Charcoal, with a light blue base.
We currently use the affordable IKEA SIGNUM cable box to hide away our cables and powerstrip, but we like the Plug Hub for the additional cable wrapping feature (if you looked inside our SIGNUM, it looks somewhat like the snake pit in Indiana Jones), alongside it's tidy underneath-the-desk option. But we do hope if the Plug Hub sees production, there are additional colours offered besides charcoal (white or off-white seems prudent considering most people's walls). Currently the Plug Hub is being offered for pre-sale with the arrangement if enough people show interest, it will go into production for $23.95.
Other cable hideaway options from our archives: