Spring and summer are two of our fave seasons here at Unplggd because it means taking your tech outside. For those of you with gardens to tend to, we've found ten great products to help you geek out in the yard.
- Hydroponics in a Pot: Autopots water the plants within them on demand (must be attached to a reservoir). The plant controls the amount of water it gets rather than relying on the weather or you to remember to hose it down. "Since the Autopot only provides water when necessary, the resulting wet/dry cycle promotes healthy root development with high levels of oxygen in the root zone." Each pot can support plants that grow up to 3 or 4 ft tall! "Plants that will grow larger should be supported from above with vine lines as in the case of greenhouse cucumbers and tomatoes."
- Networked Sprinkler System: The Cyber-Rain XCI connects to your home computer to access the latest weather reports for your area before turning on the hose.
- Capture Garden Growth in Time Lapse: The Timelapse Garden Video Camera snaps a photo at regular intervals (you choose how often -- from every five seconds to every 24 hours) and then pastes them together into a 1,280 x 1,024 video.
- Test Before You Plant: The Sun and Soil Probe analyzes soil content and sun intensity while it's plucked down in an area you want to plant in. When you plug the probe into your computer's USB drive, the company's website will recommend plants ideal for that spot.
- Make a Solar-Powered Garden Fountain: Installing a solar-powered pump for a backyard pond or fountain not only saves energy, but also omits the need for an electrician's help to bury a line...saving you money on all fronts.
- Automate Mowing the Lawn: Husqvana Robotic Automowers is the Roomba of lawnmowers.
- Use Table Scraps to Feed Your Yard: The Naturemill Composter is an automated gizmo that turns old food into yummy nutrients for your garden.
- Green Lawn Maintenance: The Neuton CE 5.2 Is Powered by Batteries, Not Stinky Gas.
- Outdoor Speakers: Mariner's waterproof speakers give your backyard bass.
- Automated Gutter Cleaner: The Looj brushes gutters clean of debris, clogs and sludge.
(Images: Autopotohskylab, Looj, iRobot)