MAXWELL : Welcome to Tech Club.
GREGORY (V.O.): Every week, Maxwell gave the rules that he and I decided.
MAXWELL: The first rule of Tech Club is --
Check out the Unplggd version of The Rules of Tech Club. Are you a member? Or are you not allowed to say...
#1 - The first rule of Tech Club is, you do not overwhelm your space with tech.
Your tech must fit the design theme of your space. Think designed tech, not tech nerd.
#2 - The second rule of Tech Club is, you DO NOT overwhelm your space with tech.
Keep things looking streamlined and integrate where you can.
- Do You Hide or Display Your Home Theater Tech?
- Best Way to Completely Hide Home Theater Equipment?
- The Hidden Tech Bedroom Project: Hiding Components
- The Hidden Home Theater Tour
- Hidden Treasures: Motorized TV Hiding Systems
- The Hidden Library Loft Home Office
- The Framed Entertainment Center
#3 - Do your homework.
Do your research and shop around. Make sure what you're getting does what you need it to do. Get a good price at a reputable vendor.
- Unplggd Sales and Events Calendar
- How to Research & Buy Electronics Online
- How To: Avoid Buying Tech You Don't Need
- Secrets of Craigslist: Tips to Save and Earn You Money
- Are You Wary of Tech that's Too Good to be True?
- The Buyer's Guide to HDTV Terminology
#4 - Do not show your wires and cables.
It's ugly, it's a mess, no one wants to see it! Keep your wires and cables under control!
- How To: Hide Cables
- Top Ten: Cord Control Solutions
- Look! Concealing Speaker Wires With Wood
- Hide My Cables Custom Built Boxes
- Make It Easier to Identify a Collection of USB Cables
- When You Can't Hide Power Cables, Embrace Them
#5 - Keep your sh*t clean
Nobody likes a messy house. Keep your home and tech clean.
- Your Annual Home Tech Maintenance Checklist
- How to Clean & Refresh Your Tech & Screens This Weekend
- How to Be Able to Clean Your Desk in 5 Minutes
- 10 Places You Absolutely Need to Clean
- 5 Tech and Appliance Details You Might Have Forgotten to Clean (But Should)
- 5 Household Tech Items You Can Clean With An Eraser
- Spring Clean Kitchen Appliances to Keep 'Em in Top Form
- Tips For Spring Cleaning: Filters to Gadgets
- Spring Clean Your Office Air with These Eleven Easy Plants
#6 - No trolling, no lurking.
Contribute constructively. If you’ve learned a great wisdom, share with others and pass it on so that others may learn. Whether in real life (IRL) or on the internet (at Apartment Therapy Unplggd or heaven forbid elsewhere), help your fellow denizens out with your knowledge and insight on design and tech.
#7 - Tech will always upgrade but don’t spend more than you can afford.
Sure it’s ok to splurge now and again, but pay the bills first and keep your home and lights on. That new tech is worthless when your electricity is shut off because you couldn't afford to pay the bill - no matter how nice and shiny it is, sitting there without power.
- How Much Is Too Much? What's Your Tech Budget?
- Was It Worth It?: The Real Cost of Your Tech Purchase
- Tech Wants: Managing Your Desires Within A Budget
- Tech Desires: What Should You Buy & Save For?
- How Much Should You Budget For Fun Tech Splurges?
- Why You Shouldn't Buy Tech With Credit
- Tips For Staying on Budget With Tech
- Spend On This, Skimp On This
#8 - If this is your first night at Tech Club, you have to show us what you've got.
Got a great setup? Share it with your fellow readers at Unplggd! E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d love to set up a tech tour to showcase your tech style.
(Image by Jason Yang and Ken Yang)