When you live in a small apartment without a spare room, integrating a workspace into your living area can be tricky. It should be attractive and functional at the same time, and (maybe most importantly) it should be unobtrusive enough to allow you to relax at the end of the day. Over the years, we've made note of some very smart solutions to the problem...
In the photos above, you can see how homeowners have found ways to accommodate a home office in a small space. The first photo shows how the area functions as a workspace, and the second photo shows how the set-up can transform into an alternate function.
• 1-2 Melissa and Henry's workspace doubles as their dining room.
• 3-4 Judith's kitchen counter bar expands into a home office.
• 5-6 In IDEO's live/work suite, the desk transforms from a room divider into a counter.
• 7-8 Tony and Hilary's office serves as a workspace, loft bed, media center, and closet.
• 9-10 David and Im's work table is big enough to host dinner parties.
Photos: Melissa and Henry, The Lux Pod, IDEO, Tony and Hilary, David and Im