So many parents adhere to the "just let them run around without a diaper" potty training method, but if you're a renter and happen to have wall to wall carpeting, this idea doesn't sound pleasant.
Well, it isn't.
But we do happen to have wall to wall carpeting in our rental and even without intentionally letting our daughter run around with no diaper or underpants, there were accidents- usually in the latter stage of her training when she was already wearing underpants regularly but got wrapped up in play and simply forgot.
If you find yourself in the same predicament, here are our suggestions:
• Soak it up: Obvious, but get up all of the liquid you can with absorbent towels.
• Next, pour on the baking soda. This really works to draw out any remaining liquid and keep away odors. You'll be surprised how an hour after you soaked up all the liquid, it's wet again. Absorb again, and then put a little more baking soda.
• We actually leave ours on overnight. Then, vacuum.
A seasonal professional carpet cleaning at the end of your potty training period would also be great, but the above method really does do the trick.
A few other tips we found online with regards to this topic:
• Basic H by Shaklee was recommended.
• The Bissell SpotBot was another recommendation. It's suggested for pets and gets good reviews for removing odors and stains on carpet.
(Image: Flickr member [F]oxymoron licensed for use under Creative Commons)