If you come to visit me unexpectedly and ring the doorbell, it may be a minute or two before I answer. It's not because I'm deaf, it's not because I'm lazy, it's because I'm in the bathroom, wiping up the hair from the bathroom floor. It's not the only thing I do before company comes. If I have more time I also like to do the following…
- Nick a few flowers for my bathroom: I use a sake bottle repurposed as a vase.
- Put out a stack of hand towels: Usually cloth but I've got a stack of paper ones I've used on occasion.
- Make sure there's at least one extra toilet paper roll out and available: Seriously, how embarrassing.
- Light a candle and turn off the lights. Often the candle gives off enough light that guests don't even have to switch on the light. I prefer scented candles.
- Liquid soap: Less mess and more sanitary than a bar.
- Toothpicks: Especially if there's food or it it's a dinner party. Nobody wants to be caught with a piece of food in their teeth.
- Clean out and rearrange my bathroom cabinet: People will invariably snoop. Sometimes I put a note in; one friend fills her cabinet with marbles to catch the culprits but that just seems mean.
- Clean: I think it almost goes without saying but I clean and declutter my bathroom before friends come over. At the very least, I damp mop my bathroom floor, wipe down the sink, shine my faucets and clean the toilet bowl, leaving a little cleaner in the bowl when I'm done. Sometimes, if I'm really feeling nervous, I'll throw in a couple of drops of blue food colouring and fold the toilet paper's ends into a triangle.
[image: Paul and Tyra's Eclectic Charmer]