A few small picture frames and one larger one is all you need to whip up this sweet mobile. Paint the frames if you want and fill them with any art or photos you like. It's perfect for a baby's room, a teen room, or anywhere in between. Materials:
8 small frames (available at craft stores, check the bridal section)
one larger frame
about 3 yards of ribbon
photos or art reduced to fit small frames
4 screw eyes
fishing line or thin wire for attaching to ceiling
1. Paint the frames. My larger frame was a Goodwill find, so it needed a little light sanding. I also painted the small silver frames hot pink. Add a coat of polyurethane after the paint is dry.
2. Remove supports on backs of frames. If your small frames have that small support piece that helps them to stand up, pull it off. I also pulled off the tab that holds the frame closed. You want the back of the small frames to be completely smooth so you can glue paper to it.
3. Add decorative paper and ribbon. Put your artwork inside the small frames. Run the ribbon behind the artwork but inside the frame back. Cut a piece of decorative paper the same size as the back and with a glue stick, attach it to the frame back.
4. Attach small frames to large frame. Twist the screw eyes into the back of the large frame. Tie the ribbons to each screw eye.
5. Add wire for hanging. Tie a length of fishing line or thin wire to each screw eye, then tie all 4 pieces together so the mobile hangs evenly. Knot the end for attaching to a ceiling hook.
(Images: Katie Steuernagle)
MORE DIY MOBILES ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• DIY Sputnik Crib Mobile
• Paper Lantern Cluster Mobile
• Make Your Own Decahedron Himmeli Mobile
• Make A Darling Doily Mobile
• DIY Bird Mobile
• How To Make a Mobile from Vintage Illustrations