…and I loved that I had no weird neck or back pains in the morning. However, after consistent use over the months we found ourselves waking up more and more throughout the night. Recently, Maxwell had a very similar experience with this mattress (read his review here). Unlike Maxwell, we weren't able to return our mattress and had to start looking at other options to make our sleepless nights a little more comfortable.
The biggest reason for going with latex rather than memory foam was because of the refinery-based products used to make memory foam mattresses. We had to find a compromise with something that was eco-friendly and also very comfortable. We didn't want a pure wool topper. The cost was prohibitively expensive and the reviews were mixed. We settled on this EcoMemoryFoam Topper which happened to be available at Costco.
• Bio-based polymers rather than refinery-based polymers
• Halogen free
• Cover is already installed (more on this later)
• At only $229 for the King size, it was within our budget
• Since the latex mattress was around 8 inches thick, adding on the 3 inch topper made the combo around the same size as other standard mattresses. No need for for the oversized bottom sheet.
• If your body temp tends to rise at night, it can be warm to sleep on
• My dog no longer wants to sleep on her dog bed
Overall we are hugely satisfied with the purchase. The topper has greatly decreased the firmness of the latex mattress. At first we had a mattress cover over both the topper and the latex mattress. We realized that since the topper already had a cover, this wasn't necessary and when we took it off discovered that the foam was even cushier than we had originally experienced! I would recommend this product to anyone that is currently unsatisfied with their mattress and is looking for an eco-friendly topper around $200.
Image: Micki Howl