Container gardening is about more than just the plants—add an extra element of beauty to your balcony with your vessel selections! Here are just a few modern planters to get you inspired.
1. This is one impressive over-the-railing design by Nοémie Royer and Lorraine Thirion. Made using sheet metal, rubber and plastic, these modular planters are a fresh take on a space-saving approach.
2. I liked the Harmony Planter from DCN so much that I will be using several of them for my September wedding. These are by far the most simple, stylish, and affordable options for an over-sized planter. Lightweight, self-watering, recycled content, and under $30...what else could I say but "I do!"
3. Sold as a set of 5, EcoForms's Earth Friendly Planters are made using renewable grain hulls and are fully biodegradable when the time comes. Said to last 5 years out of doors, and 10 years inside, these planters are only $20 for the 5" set.
4. In a shape reminiscent of a Lotus flower, the 22" Nature planter over at Design Night is a stunning and complex achievement in ceramic.
5. Made using recycled US steel, the minimal Bamboo Grow Rack by Potting Shed is the perfect windowsill companion. $10 for the rack, pots sold separately.
6. Quickly becoming a favorite in the eco-planter realm, Fiskars' 5" pots are made with the by-product of a variety of sustainable crops such as rice straw, bamboo and reeds. Pictured here in "Goldenrod".
7. These large scrap metal planters by ORE are high-style on the high-end. Ranging from $750-$900.
8. Another "champagne taste" design from ORE, I am always drawn to the elegant tapered styling of this type of planter. At least the price point isn't quite so painful this time around: $288-$380, depending on the size.
9. How pleasing is the shape of the X-Large Obleeek Concrete Planter? Poured with a special blend of fine powder Portand cement and volcanic ash, these planter are far lighter than your standard concrete pot. $225, available with or without drainage holes.
10.Chapütschin is one of several gorgeous oiled-Oak planters from Swiss based design label, Pour les Alpes'. This modern, angular structure is a pure sculptural delight.
(Images: As linked)