I have a confession. I'm writing this post with a pretty big bias... I'm a light packer. Watching people who lug giant bags packed to the gills heading for their vacation makes me shake my head and wonder why. So in an effort to present a more balanced pros and cons of packing light, I asked a family member who finds packing light to be abhorrent for her two cents.
- Less stuff to lug around.
- Less stuff to lose or have stolen.
- You look like a champ when you fly.
- You have more room for souvenirs (this assumes that your bag is not stuffed to capacity when departing).
- You don't have checked or bag weight overage fees.
- You're able to make needed last minute changes while travelling without wondering where your bag might end up, since it's with you.
- If you have a longer trip you might have to do laundry or wear the same things more than once.
- You probably won't be able to bring everything you want (especially shoes).
- Planning out what you're going to wear and what you should pack requires more time.
- Less clothing and accessory options in addition to less of everything else.
- You might have to buy things at your destination that you didn't have room for, and often these are more expensive than they would be at home.