I have a confession. I'm writing this post with a pretty big bias... I'm a light packer. Watching people who lug giant bags packed to the gills heading for their vacation makes me shake my head and wonder why. So in an effort to present a more balanced pros and cons of packing light, I asked a family member who finds packing light to be abhorrent for her two cents.
- Less stuff to lug around.
- Less stuff to lose or have stolen.
- You look like a champ when you fly.
- You have more room for souvenirs (this assumes that your bag is not stuffed to capacity when departing).
- You don't have checked or bag weight overage fees.
- You're able to make needed last minute changes while travelling without wondering where your bag might end up, since it's with you.
- If you have a longer trip you might have to do laundry or wear the same things more than once.
- You probably won't be able to bring everything you want (especially shoes).
- Planning out what you're going to wear and what you should pack requires more time.
- Less clothing and accessory options in addition to less of everything else.
- You might have to buy things at your destination that you didn't have room for, and often these are more expensive than they would be at home.
As you can see, I still think the pros of packing light outweigh the cons, but what do you think? What's your packing style?
(Image: Lo & Sons)