Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Hattiesburg, MS
- United States
- What do you love about your bedroom?:
- I am fascinated by the past, whether in my own memories, my family tree or cultural history. I wanted to let my creativity burst in this room through inspiration from my travels. My arabesque bedding and area rug remind me of the Moorish influences where I lived in Granada, Spain. My collection of frames are all prints of the Moulin Rouge in Paris, both in art and my own photographs. I have collected trinkets and books which decorate my surfaces. More than anything, I cherish the antiques that have been passed down to me, from my great-grandmother's dressing screen used as a headboard, to the army trunk my mother hand painted as my nightstand, to my beautiful vanity and recovered Victorian desk chair. Deep reds and earthy browns are truly representative of my passionate nature.
- What are your tips for creating a beautiful, healthy and organized bedroom?
- The best way, I have found, to keep my bedroom beautiful is to never let clutter in. I use my second bedroom as an office/walk-in closet, so there is no excuse for throwing items down on my bed or chair when I get home. That, and burning candles! Making the bed each morning and pulling back the window curtains is key to feeling healthier, both physically and mentally. Even my dog can tell a difference! I use as many creative methods as possible to stay organized--having a set purpose for each dresser drawer, storing jewelry where it's visible daily but out of the way, using an antique box on the nightstand for all my bedtime necessities. I don't believe everyone needs fifty clear plastic bins with labels! Just focus on each item you own having a little home that fits your needs. And if it doesn't serve a purpose ... throw it out.
- In modern homes, bedrooms have become more than just a place to sleep; they can be a retreat, a home office, a library, a relaxation zone. What are some ways you make the most of your bedroom?
- I will admit, even though I enjoy the freedom of living alone so I have the whole house to myself, I spend the majority of my time in my bedroom. I enjoy reading, writing, and watching my favorite television shows on Hulu from my comfy bed. Then there are also the countless hours I spend in bed with my laptop on Apartment Therapy! I am glad to have a space singled out for relaxing that still has the artistic nature I crave, rather than the typical blues and whites associated with serenity.
See all entries
More posts in this series
My Bedroom Retreat