We love this rammed earth construction by Terra Firma Rammed Earth Builders. It's uncommon enough to see on a home's exterior. But would you believe you can also use the material in bathrooms? Check it out after the jump...
All photos are from the Terra Firma Rammed Earth Builders' portfolio. Look at the one with the "fish fossil" on the wall. The shape was put into the formwork for the wall, leaving a "prehistoric" imprint behind.
Why would someone use rammed earth as a building material? Well, here are some reasons from Terra Firma:
- Achieve Energy Efficiency: the combination of heat retention from the mass of rammed earth and insulation is suited for various climates
- Improve Indoor Air and Sound Quality: the simple finish of exposed rammed earth walls have no toxic finishes and build a sound barrier for your living space
- Protect Your Surroundings: stabilized rammed earth walls that are virtually fire, water and earthquake proof
- Safeguard Your Health: unlike most building materials, rammed earth is non-toxic and maintenance-free
- Connect to the Earth: green design with low/no impact using sustainable, locally-sourced, ecological building materials
- Customize Your Design: rammed earth can blend seamlessly with your modern, healthy lifestyle in a community that inspires you
- Invest in a Legacy: a rammed earth home stands the test of time for future generations