A live edge slab of wood might be an unusual sight in a bedroom. But the juxtaposition of this primitive, natural material against restful, warm linens is both old in its familiarity and new in its simplicity. This creates a purely modern masterpiece.
A slab headboard may look like an easy DIY project to but rest assured, this is not for the casual woodworker. Sourcing a large slab is the first hurdle, being able to plane and saw and sand this large and extremely heavy piece of wood is the second. Take a look at these beautifully crafted pieces – these designers have turned simple sections into breathtaking beauties.
1. Natural Sycamore Slab Bed (frame, headboard and side tables): $12,900 at Meyer Wells
2. Live Edge Claro Walnut Headboard: at BDDW
3. Ancient California Redwood Headboard: $9200 at Urban Hardwoods
4. St. Pierre Bed (available in several species of wood): Uhuru
5. Michael Bed Made From Sycamore: Stine Woodworking