Early this morning, readers were asked to weigh in on their favorite budget furniture stores in New York City (apart from Ikea, Pier One, Crate and Barrel & West Elm), and the responses came flooding in — with lots of good suggestions. We figured, why not organize them all in one bookmarkable, easy-to-read place, categorized by neighborhood…The top picks, comments-wise, were FURNISH GREEN (Mavra says, "best-kept-secret in New York. I have found several one of a kind pieces that are my absolute favorites..."), HOUSING WORKS (Cherrybomb says, "you have to look more often, but they have gems"), GOTHIC CABINET CRAFT (talby says "uninspired design, but solidly made, and you can negotiate on prices"), and — outside of Manhattan in the Bronx — ABC CARPET & HOME OUTLET (MonicaK says, "quality furniture at great prices..not cheap but for what you get, but I consider them great prices"). Here's the full list — fill it out by adding your favorites in the comments!
- MUJI: 16 W 19th Street, 212.414.9024
- HOUSING WORKS: 143 West 17th Street, 718.838.5050
- WHITE FURNITURE: 85 White Street Between Broadway & Lafayette, 212.966.6711
- MUJI: 455 Broadway, 212.334.2002
- CB2: 451 Broadway, 212.219.1454
- HOUSING WORKS: 130 Crosby Street, 646.786.1200
- MUJI: The New York Times Building — 620 8th Avenue, 212.382.2300
Upper East Side
Upper West Side
Outlets & Stores Outside Manhattan
Have stores to add? Share them in the comments!