The Jawbone JAMBOX is a top aesthete's choice for a portable wireless speaker, but the price tag makes it a bit of a splurge rather than impulse purchase. Sure, the sound is decent for a speaker of its size, but there are a few affordable alternatives that are equally portable and nearly as eye-catching...
1. Logitech Ultimate Ears Mobile Boombox: This new wireless speaker from Logitech's UE division certainly looks the part of a functional Bluetooth speaker. It comes in five different color-schemes, and the MSRP is $99.99.
2. Braven 600: With an MSRP of $149.99, the Braven 600 is more affordable than the JAMBOX, and it doesn't lose out that much in the looks/design departement. It's more subdued design might make it a better business choice for conference rooms or meetings, while offering 12 hours of autonomy and an output of 6W.
3. Soundmatters FoxLv2: With a recent price drop in MSRP, the Fox LV2 is a decent speaker with 8W of power. There are a couple of different models available, including the Platinum model which has a longer battery life (20 hours), but costs more.
4. Outdoor Technology Turtle Shell Boombox: A recent Daily Tech Find and currently available for pre-order via Kickstarter, the Turtle Shell Boombox is a dust and weather proof Bluetooth speaker designed uniquely to mount onto bicycles for on-the-go listening, up to 10 hours of listening.
5. Nokia Play 360 NFC: With 20 hours of wireless playback, these Nokia speakers were designed specifically to complement their colorful Lumia handset line. The Play 360 is about the same price as the JAMBOX, but includes a NFC feature, alongside Bluetooth connectivity, in conjunction with its characteristic 360 degree speaker design. Available in black, white, and signature Nokia cyan.