Tipped off by an article in Mindful Metropolis, we just read this alarming figure from the Clean Air Council: In the U.S., an additional 5 million tons of waste is generated during the holidays. Four million tons of this is wrapping paper and shopping bags.
Although opting for reusable wrapping paper and shopping bags may seem like small steps, statistics like these remind us that actions like these do matter. For tips on greening your wrapping and shopping habits, click through the links below.
GREEN GIFT WRAPPING
• 9 Ways to Green Your Gift Wrapping
• Green Gift Wrapping: Divine Twine
• 6 Alternatives to Wrapping Paper that You Can Find Around the House
• How To: Use a Reusable Bag as Gift Wrap
• Reusable Fabric Bags and Wraps from Etsy
REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS
• How To: Make a Reusable Grocery Bag
• Top 10 Ways to Remember Your Reusable Tote
• Good Questions: Good Reusable Grocery Bags?
• How To: Make a Shopping Bag from a T-Shirt
• Baggu Bags
• Waste Facts and Figures from the Clean Air Council
• Deck the Halls, Not the Landfill by Mandy Burrell Booth, Mindful Metropolis
Photo: Chewing the Cud Reusable Gift Wrap