Name: Rene & Jerry
Location: Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Size: 3200 square feet
Years lived in: Almost 4
If a house can have good karma, this Victorian Mansard's got it. Before the current owners, Rene and Jerry, bought this beautiful Jamaica Plain home, the previous owners made a bold and rare move. They skillfully returned this glorious single family home, which had been chopped into three units over years, back into the cohesive single family home that it longed to be.
Then Rene and Jerry came along about fours year ago and got the house "dressed" beautifully, adding the paint colors, lighting, and high style decor. And yes, this is a larger home than we typically feature on Apartment Therapy, but walking in the front door you can feel a humble pride and gratitude from the space for being returned to its intended whole form.
The home's style is polished and uncluttered yet feels so inviting and warm. (Rene's mom, who was there when I took the pictures, whispered quietly to me with a smile "It always looks this nice", assuming that I might have thought they'd spruced up for the photo shoot!) Rene and Jerry, who decorated the space entirely on their own, seem to share the home's humility and pride, recognizing how lucky they are to live in such a happy, gracious home. I told Rene that if he grows weary of his current profession, there's a super talented designer in him, just waiting to launch a successful design business!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our style: American Modern - Transitional
Inspiration: Ottoman Empire, French/English Colonial, Classic Country, & Chinese
Favorite Element: Scale of the principle rooms and flow
Biggest Challenge: First floor library/den with windows and/or doors on all four sides was difficult to plan furniture for
What Friends Say: Can we move in?
Biggest Embarrassment: Neglected Landscaping in backyard
Proudest DIY: Designing library built-ins, and fabrication/installation of outdoor Sunbrella curtains on front porch
Biggest Indulgence: Art
Best advice: Buy the best you can afford
Dream sources: Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, William Wayne (NYC), HUDSON (Boston), John Derian (NYC), Mecox Gardens (NYC), Ebay, 1st Dibs, Garage Sale Consignment (Boston), William Sonoma Home
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Halls - Orangerie by Farrow & Ball
• TV Room - Sand by Farrow & Ball
• Master Bedroom - Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore
• Master Bathroom - Dior Gray by Benjamin Moore
• Guest Bedroom - Nantucket Gray by Benjamin Moore
- • Sultan Oil Painting by Ismail Acar (Istanbul)
• Linen Sofa by William Sonoma Home
• Sisal Rug by Merida
• Chinese Red Lacquer Wedding Armoire by Red River Trading
• Antique Bergeres were gift from friend which Rene & Jerry recovered
- • Dr. Pitt sectional, chair, ottoman by Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
• Silk & Wool Tibetan Carpet from Dover Rug Co.
• French Oak bench by Mohr & McPherson
• Throw by Hermes
MEDIA ROOM / STUDY
- • Linen sectional sofa by Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
• Coffee Table by William Sonoma Home
• Zebra Ottoman by Oly (available through HUDSON in Boston)
• Armchair by Thomas O'Brien for Hickory Chair
•Orange Leather Eames Chair through Design Within Reach
• Desk by Mitchell Gold
• Orange Lacquer side table by Shine (available thru HUDSON in Boston)
• Sisal Rug by Merida
• Art & Photography by Ann Carrington, Hugo Guinness
• Custom curtains
GUEST BEDROOM WITH RED BEDSPREAD
- • Marrakesh bed by Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams
• Secretary by Thomas O'Brien for Hickory Chair
• FooDogs by CB2
• Fiddlehead Ficus from Winston's Flowers
• Bedding by Dwell
GUEST ROOM STUDY
- • Club Chair by Verellen, fabric is Chiang Mai by Schumacher
• Chest of drawers from Crate & Barrel
• Art by Joseph Solmon
- • Silk & Wool rug by Dover Rug Co.
• Swing Arm lamps by Ralph Lauren Home
• Bed by Crate & Barrel
• Bedding by WS Home
• Art (handmade paper) by John Cage
MASTER BEDROOM STUDY
- • Couch by Crate & Barrell
• Louis Ghost Chair by Kartell
• White Lacquer Parsons Desk by West Elm
• Tusk Table by Bill Soffield for Baker Furniture
• Sisal Rug from Merida
• Art from Istanbul (Grand Bazaar)
Thanks, Rene & Jerry!
Images: Kyle Freeman
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.