Most families have a dish that some relatives find nostalgic while most would cringe and pass on at the buffet line. In my family the tomato aspic was legendary with a giant blob of mayonnaise in the center. For some the traditional Ocean Spray canned cranberry jelly is still a must have on the table at Thanksgiving fresh out of the can with the ridges left intact.
Just as fashion, food also has trends and these dishes were the hot recipes to make for family holidays decades ago. What is your family's traditional food with retro roots?
1. Tomato Aspic from McCall's
2. Party Potato Salad from Woman's Day, July 1970
3. Frozen Fruitcake Salad from The bad and ugly of retro food
4. Retro Cocktail Weenie Tree from Merry Kitschmas
5. Crusty Salmon Shortcake from Betty Crocker
(Image credits: Dougsploitation; Woman's Day; The bad and ugly of retro food; Merry Kitschmas: The Ultimate Holiday Handbook; Aspic and Other Delights)