Danny is good in bed! As a friend of Danny's, I was at first a little afraid to spend a month reviewing one of his beds. He's awesome, but just because his name's on it, didn't necessarily mean that it would be an awesome bed. Branded situations like this give me pause. And who wants to ruin a friendship? Happily, from the get go we both loved this bed, and it's one of the few that has earned a double thumbs up.
I was very surprised by the comfort of this bed. I didn't read up on the bed when we started the month, and — for a week — I was totally convinced that it was a "sprung" bed. Why? Because foam can be warm and it also has a more solid feel. Our Model One was cool and very soft in a deep way, which I really liked. This does not act or feel like a foam "brick."
Over the month, Sara and I both loved getting into bed and slept very well through the night. Our Model One has a firm, foamy topper, which then allows your body weight to sink well into the mattress, leaving your feet a bit higher than your hips and chest (which is just right for your posture). Undoubtedly, the pairing of this thick mattress with the box spring adds to the cushiony depth.
Over the year so far, I've come to LOVE and feel the necessity for foundations and box springs. Platform beds just don't come close.
• Very Good
Since Danny's name is on these beds, Simmons clearly worked hard to make these green — and they did a good job. Construction is very sturdy, and the materials used are much greener than conventional beds. Being 100% green is a real challenge, both for price point and for comfort (as 100% green latex can be hard to work with), and Simmons chose to make these beds accessible by focusing on comfort.
Accordingly, the materials are a mix of green and non-green, but you do feel good about this bed. It's way better than average. Here's the breakdown:
Naturally Derived Top Panel Fabric
• Cultivated wood fiber is partially sustainable and Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified.
Natural Rubber Tree Based Latex
• Special blend is derived from milk sap of a rubber tree (65%).
• Sourced from sustainable, renewable and protected rubber tree plantations.
• Special blended latex is Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified.
Soy Enhanced Support Base Foam
• Soy is added to our base foam as an environmentally friendly and sustainable source.
• Wood used in our foundations is typically sourced from companies who participate in the Sustainable Forestry Initiative.
• Very Good
I give this bed a VG rating on price because I feel it hits the sweet spot for people wanting to spend a little bit more for a really good bed, but not too much. Mind you, the Model One, which we slept on, is the low end model, and there are two more rungs above this one.
When asked how much you should expect to spend on a really good bed in an interview last week, I replied $1,300 - $1,500. While you can certainly get beds for less, it's very hard to get a really good bed for less, and while you can CERTAINLY spend more, this seems to me the natural cutoff right now in the industry.
Do you sleep on a Danny Seo Simmons? If yes, please let me know in the comments how it's going for you.
Bed Rankings to Date - 9.26.11
(Best overall sleep experience according to both him and her - i.e. two thumbs up)
Tie For First
Tie for Second
3. The Keetsa Pillow Plus
4. The Biltmore Bed by C.P. Rogers
5. Encased Coil Natural Mattress by Room & Board
6. TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme with Advanced Ergo Adjustable Base
7. Embody Memory Foam Stillness Plus Bed by Sealy
8. IKEA Erfjord
Year In Bed Info
• Follow daily progress on Twitter at #yearinbed
All Year In Bed Posts
• KEETSA PILLOW PLUS REVIEW
• THE BILTMORE BY C.P. ROGERS REVIEW
• SAVOIR No. 2 REVIEW
• TEMPUR-PEDIC TEMPUR-CLOUD REVIEW
• ROOM & BOARD ENCASED COIL NATURAL MATTRESS REVIEW
• Beyond the Ides of March - Bed #6 from Room & Board
• How To Get a Really Good Night's Sleep
• DANNY SEO NATURAL CARE REVIEW
• NATURA LATEX REVIEW
• Preview: NaturaLatex Tranquil
• More Things I've Learned So Far
• SEALY REVIEW
• Sealy Preview
• IKEA REVIEW
• Ikea Preview
• HASTENS REVIEW
• What is the Right Price for a Bed?
• Some Things I've Learned So Far
• Hastens Preview
• Year in Bed: A Modest Proposal