Bed: The Pillow Plus with Metal Foundation
Retail Price: $699 (queen mattress) + $229 (metal platform)
For the months of August and September we slept on our second to last bed of the year - an eco-friendly mattress from Keetsa, a new company that is striving to simplify the bed buying business as well. Bottom line? This bed gave us a great sleep at an excellent price and we loved the good feeling its eco DNA gave us. It's our top recommend at the affordable end of the price spectrum.
Keetsa is a four year old company out of San Francisco that is trying to nail the eco bed market. Family owned, its goal is to offer an excellent limited selection so that customers are not overwhelmed, eco-friendly solutions (not 100%, but as close as they can get), great service and easy delivery (their beds come in boxes which you can roll out of the store and put in a car or taxi). The box method also allows them to reduce shipping costs and carbon footprint, which passes savings on to you.
We slept very well on this bed. While it wasn't a "notable" sleep or one with any bells and whistles, we both found it supportively firm with a nice soft top that made it cuddly and gentle on our bones. We had no issue with "hot sleeps" due to the foam construction, which was great. While Sara likes a firmer sleep, I would have liked it a bit softer, but I wouldn't complain. This was a bed that won us both over in equal ways.
• Very Good
The Pillow Plus is on the more affordable end of Keetsa's range but it employs their full quiver of eco-solutions, including their mixed memory foam, BioFoam, an organic cotton cover and a green tea infusion that helps with "long-lasting natural odor control." This is a pretty stripped down eco offering, however, without any fancy or expensive ingredients (like wool, hemp or more eco-memory foam) and there was almost no off-gassing (a little bit on install, but none after 24 hours).
Perhaps the two most notable features of the Pillow Plus: the way in which it came all rolled up in a box and we were able to watch it "grow" in our bedroom and the simple metal foundation that they provided.
As you can see in the video above, the ability for a mattress to expand into its full shape is super cool, and it allows for easy delivery and even self service pickup. However, it also means that you have to do-it-yourself, so we spent a good deal of time installing our new bed, which is typically done by a delivery service (but DIY is more green).
We also liked the "camp-style" metal foundation which was easy to install and to get into our apartment. While it brought with it no visual style, it did provide a lot of room underneath for storage.
From the Keetsa website:
• The Core: iCoils are independent coils that support every part of your body with the perfect amount of supple and responsive flex. Independent operation means less transfer between sleep partners for better sleep.
• The Comfort Top: Nicely cushioned pillow top instantly welcomes you to bed with layers of body conforming High Density Memory Foam, a recyclable material.
• BioFoam™: Memory Foam made with a blend of natural and synthetic materials. We replace portion of the synthetic with plant oil, to reduce the dependency on chemical and emissions of harmful off-gassing.
• All-Natural Ingredient: EverGreen™, made from all-natural green tea, is embedded into the memory foam for long-lasting natural odor control.
• The Cover: Unbleached, 100% Organic Cotton cover with channel quilting that is stuffed with wool and micro fibers to keep the cover breathable and more comfortable.
The Pillow Plus not only won high points for being in a small club of beds that came in under $1,000, it took the top prize for delivering a great night's sleep in an eco package with a frame for the LOWEST PRICE OF ANY OF OUR BEDS TESTED THIS YEAR (including IKEA!). With frame and delivery, the whole package was just over $900, which is pretty incredible. This would have to be our top recommend at the affordable end of the spectrum.
Do you sleep on a Keetsa bed? If yes, please let me know in the comments how it's going for you.
Bed Rankings to Date - 9.26.11
(Best overall sleep experience according to both him and her - i.e. two thumbs up)
Tie For First
1. Danny Seo Natural Care Bed by Simmons
1. NaturaLatex Tranquil
Tie for Second
2. Hastens Excelsior II
2. Savoir No. 2 Bed - "The Savoy"
3. The Keetsa Pillow Plus
4. The Biltmore Bed by C.P. Rogers
5. Encased Coil Natural Mattress by Room & Board
6. TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme with Advanced Ergo Adjustable Base
7. Embody Memory Foam Stillness Plus Bed by Sealy
8. IKEA Erfjord
Year In Bed Info
• About The Year In Bed
• Follow daily progress on Twitter at #yearinbed
All Year In Bed Posts
• THE BILTMORE BY C.P. ROGERS REVIEW
• SAVOIR No. 2 REVIEW
• TEMPUR-PEDIC TEMPUR-CLOUD REVIEW
• ROOM & BOARD ENCASED COIL NATURAL MATTRESS REVIEW
• Beyond the Ides of March - Bed #6 from Room & Board
• How To Get a Really Good Night's Sleep
• DANNY SEO NATURAL CARE REVIEW
• NATURA LATEX REVIEW
• Preview: NaturaLatex Tranquil
• More Things I've Learned So Far
• SEALY REVIEW
• Sealy Preview
• IKEA REVIEW
• Ikea Preview
• HASTENS REVIEW
• What is the Right Price for a Bed?
• Some Things I've Learned So Far
• Hastens Preview
• Year in Bed: A Modest Proposal