- Chicago, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The coziness of my "teeny-tiny" home is what I love. My apartment decor can be described as 50s-60s mid-century modern, with a secondary lake home cabin feel. The equestrian and collegiate look of my apartment is tied in with details of plaids and antlers, and nautical accents bring out the coziness and nostalgic feel I love to come home to after work. I also love the memories that the decor reminds me of -- from family picnics with the Skotch Kooler, to playing croquet in the backyard, and always arguing over who would have to sleep with the itchy wool Hudson Bay blanket at grandma’s. My apartment is my sanctuary; it is a place I’m glad to call home. I know it may be small, but it brings me inspiration, solitude and relaxation. I hope my décor inspires every guest that steps into my home. I hope it gives them a homey feeling and allows them to be transported back to a simpler time of family, friends, and fun.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Patience- "Rome wasn't built in a day," and your apartment won’t be completely decorated either. Take time on finding the pieces that you are absolutely in love with, and shop around and don't always buy the first thing you see.
2. More is More- I like being surrounded by the things I love. Normally with smaller spaces people like to follow the rule of “less is more,” but if space is used correctly the more you have the bigger your place can look. Adding shelves on walls or above windows will draw the eye up and give height to the room, and also help get items off the ground to create a more open floor space.
3. Detail- Attention to detail will help tie any room together. Adding little trinkets, knickknacks, and even household items (glassware, trays, books, etc.), will give a finished look to any room.
ATVideo of the Day