From the front door to the living room, from the kitchen to the dining room, and from the boudoir to the bathroom, these five books use history and function to explore the hidden layers of the places we call home.
1. If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home by Lucy Worsley
2. The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual and the Modern Home Began by Joan DeJean
3. At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
4. House Thinking: A Room-by-Room Look at How we Live by Winifred Gallagher
5. Geography of Home by Akiko Busch
(Images: as credited above)