As a kid, I loved collecting rocks and minerals. Now, years later, my son does too. As much I love to encourage him, the last thing I want to do is set some great hunk of quartz in his (shared) room to clobber his sister over the head with. Here are a few more kid-friendly finds to spur on interest in the wonders that can be found hidden under the earth...
1. This incredible vintage-inspired science poster is from Vol25 on Etsy. $70.00.
2. Amber Iberreche's "Gemz" print is packed full of gemstone eye-candy. $50.00.
3. A great kid friendly option - wall decals! This pack of 9 is from Urban Outfitters. $29.00.
4. Got a magnetic space in their room? Move aside alphabet magnets, check out these classy gemstone magnets from Leif. $38.00.
5. More of the real thing, in these druzy quartz drawer knobs. Switch out the dresser drawer pulls for something really special. From Anthropologie. $18.00.
6. West Elm has some drawer pull options, too, and theirs are on sale starting at $9.99.
7. Find your own agate slices and make a pair of curtain pull-backs for the kids' curtains. Martha Stewart has the ultra-basic instructions here.
8. A rock collection like this is an incredible teaching tool, or could be used in a wall display, inside a deep frame. From Recy on Etsy. $108.00.
9. For more hands-on options, why not try these break-your-own geodes? $29.95 for 12 on Amazon.
10. And who can forget rock tumbling! So much fun! The rock tumbler pictured is specifically for kids ($44.95 from Amazon), but for more info on what kind of rock tumbler would best suit you, head over to geology.com to read this article on kids' rock tumblers.