There are certain formulas that most people follow in their homes. A living room has a couch and a coffee table; bedrooms usually include bedside tables; home offices have desks. But every once in a while, especially in small spaces that require a little extra ingenuity, we'll see a room that breaks the rules in a really good way…
- Living room sans coffee table: Jorge and Craig use a strategically placed side table, in lieu of a central coffee table, to keep their living room open and airy.
- Home office sans desk: In her small apartment, Jenny doesn't have room for a traditional home office. Instead, she uses a cube in the bedroom as a laptop stand, and works wherever she wants.
- Living room sans sofa: Helen and Frazer's tiny home is too small for a sofa, so they use a set of armchairs to define their living area.
- Bedroom sans bedside tables: Jay's studio apartment bedroom is totally non-traditional. His headboard is the reverse side of his entryway, and the shelves above serve the function of a bedside table.
- Bathroom sans medicine cabinet: An accordion mirror and compact glass shelf are stylish substitutes for a medicine cabinet in Tyke and Jon's home.