As I stated in my dream living room post, the Arco lamp is one of those classic modern pieces that I've longed for since I was young. The hefty Carrara marble base and long sweeping stainless steel neck make for quite the statement piece, yet the lamp seems to fit so well in just about any room.The Arco lamp, designed in 1962 by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni and produced for Flos, was supposedly modeled after a street lamp design. The base is made from a 65kg piece of Carrara marble. The hole running through it isn't just for decoration, it is actually a place to insert a broomstick to make carrying the heavy piece easier. The arched neck is made from three telescoping pieces of stainless steel, which allows for the light to be set at three different heights. The aluminum domed reflector is perforated at the top to help facilitate cooling.
The Arco is a floor lamp, but functionally it can serve as an overhead light, instead of a pendant. It works great as an accent light in a living room as well as over a dining table. As you can see in these photos, it's an amazingly versatile piece!
Read More about the Arco Lamp and Castiglioni Brothers: Quick History: The Arco Lamp
1. Designer Achille Castiglioni with his Arco lamp, via Flos North America/Pinterest.
2. The metal lines of the lamp offset this otherwise very organic modern living room, via Marie-Laure Helmkamp Interior Design.
3. The lamp in a Manhattan living room, via Marie Clair Maison
4. Two classics, the Barcelona chairs and the Arco lamp, paired together in this modern living room, via Elle Decor.
5. The Arco is used here as a dramatic desk lamp, via Architonic.
6. Taking advantage of super high ceilings, the Arco soars in this living room, designed by Emily Elizabeth Interior Design.
7. Apartment Therapy contributor Catrin, loves her Arco lamp.
8. A great example of the Arco being used over a dining table, via Apartment Therapy.
9. Another great Arco in a dining room, via Design*Sponge.
10. What's better than one Arco lamp? Two! Featured at the Senzone ounge Bar, via Feel Fuenso.
(Images as linked)