Shelving over a doorway is not only a great space saver but creates a focal pointA friend of ours has recently moved from a 2000 square foot home into a small pied-a-terre. Now, having divested herself of most of her furniture, she's looking for some solutions to make what she does have fit into her new, small space. We've rounded up some of our favorite solutions after the jump...
- Add shelves above doorways or windows, whether a single shelf or a whole bookcase.
- Let narrow picture ledges line a hallway and display your collections of small objects or photographs.
- Put glass shelves across deep-set windows.
- Run a shelf up high around a room or low, underneath the height of the windowsill
- Light light and more light
- Double duty coffee tables and end tables
- Bookcases as sofa tables
- Keep the flooring throughout a small space the same for visual continuity.
- Think of your outdoor space as another room.
- Keep window treatments simple.
- Simplify your furniture: fewer pieces reduce visual clutter
- Think monochromatically
- Eliminate obstructions: the further you can see into and through a space, the larger it'll seem.
- Arrange furnishings to avoid blocking views of windows and doors.
What are your favorite small space solutions?
ATVideo of the Day