• Color Capture by Benjamin Moore lets you snap a photo of anything at all and find a color match among Benjamin Moore's many paint chips. Wow! Plus, it's free.
• Sherwin Williams ColorSnap gives you a color match, too, along with a complementary palette and a Sherwin-Williams store finder. This one's free too.
• Mark On Call, created by interior designer Mark Lewison, has tons of helpful features, including shopping lists, measurement tools, layout planners, and the like. All for $2.99.
• I.D. Wood is a pocket guide to woods, including information about durability, sustainability, and color. Also includes helpful info about cutting techniques and a nail size reference. $2.99.
• Home Sizer calculates square footage and construction costs for $2.99.
• Convert, a unit calculator, comes highly recommended. Helpful for converting from metric when shopping for imported furniture. Costs $.99.
• iHandy Level is just what it sounds like. It turns the iPhone into a level. There are many level apps available, but this one comes recommended by friends. Great for hanging art! Free.
• Ebay Mobile, of course, allows you to track your auctions easily from your phone, so you won't miss that perfect vintage kilim rug again. Free.
• Craigsphone is Craigslist's mobile version for the iPhone, new this year. Would be great for garage sale weekends. Free.
• SwedeShop helps you stay organized on your Ikea shopping trips. Take photos, make notes, and tab the locations of all the items you're considering. Given how frustrating it can be to navigate that store, this app seems well worth the $.99.
• Christie's auction house has an app for those following auctions of their valuable big-ticket items. Great for serious collectors. Free.
• What the Font will identify any typeface. Just snap a pic of a poster, sign, or any other source for type, and you'll get your font. Great for DIY projects! Free.
• Evernote, an all-purpose organizational app, can become a great replacement for your giant design binders. Snap pics of fabrics, rooms, and furniture; make recordings and notes; map locations of your favorite stores and sales. Free.
• 3rd Whale helps you shop green. Find businesses, services, and contractors who focus on sustainability. Shop by categories, like "Garden and Landscaping" or "Green Power." $1.99.
Let us know if you've tried out any of these apps! What are your favorite apps for home design help?
(Image: Susie Nadler)