We've talked about mattresses a lot on Apartment Therapy, and with good reason. Considering how much of our overall lives we spend sleeping, it's important to have a healthy, comfortable and even good-looking mattress. We've rounded up some links to past mattress posts and added a few good tips to consider when going on your own mattress buying trip. More after the jump!
While there are certainly many factors to consider when making such an important purchase, remember these four important ones:
- The Box Spring It's a funny thing to think about, but with many of today's modern platform beds, you might not need a box spring. You may be able to save money by cutting out on that unneeded part.
- Coils If you are buying a spring mattress, you will want to check the number of coils contained within, which will affect comfort and stability. Different size mattresses have different maximum coil numbers (a queen being about 400)
- Foam Latex and other types of foam mattresses have to be researched to ensure that a high-quality material is located throughout the mattress, which can affect comfort and how long the mattress lasts.
- Comfort Obviously, choose a mattress that is most comfortable for you, spending as much time as you need testing out the store models (though, you probably can't sleep in the store overnight). Make sure the firmess supports you and your partner's sleeping needs.
- Stuffing If you go with a spring mattress, make sure you research the type of stuffing used in the model you are considering. There are many different options these days, some with eco-friendly choices, so make sure you choose the one that most works for you.
What are your top mattress picks and tips? Share them!
[Photo credit: Opening photo from backactive.ca]