While last week we were hoping for warmer weather here in LA, it seems we've gotten our prayers answered in spades--ninety-six degrees today (which happens to be a record breaker)! While we're sweating away in our apartment, we've been rounding up ways to stay cool (without having to pull our portable AC unit out of the closet). Wikipedia has a great article on how to beat the heat and Sarah C's post highlights her top picks.
- Open windows and use fans to create cross-circulation currents.
- Turn off electric appliances, like lamps and stoves, that are sources of heat.
- Eat small portions of food throughout the day and drink lots of water.
- Use mint (in a glass of water or in skin care products) to refresh yourself.
- Apply cold water to your pulse points.
- Install a ceiling fan.
- Take cold showers.
- On any windows that get direct sun, line the curtains with white (or use a pull-down shade) during the day. The heat will bounce off rather than absorb.
- Go barefoot whenever possible.