If you've spent any time at the beach, you (and your house's pipes) are probably in love with the idea of the outdoor shower. Even far from the coast, many local gardeners — including one from an upcoming House Tour — use these alternative bathing spots in the warmer months too. Here's a peek at some favorites, and a few sources for creating your own. OUTDOOR SHOWER INSPIRATION
• Unless you have very understanding neighbors or no neighbors at all, this one, styled by the illustrious Twig Hutchinson, may just have to remain in the dream file. For me it exudes the type of easy living that outdoor showers convey.
• This one hails from my dream getaway, Hotel Azucar, outside of Veracruz. To see more of the hotel, check out this post from last summer’s Great Escapes.
• Adding a plant or two to an outdoor shower can make it more of a destination than a purely utilitarian spot.
• Or add a trellis to frame a wall mounted shower.
• Sunset featured this vibrant outdoor shower created from standard indoor plumbing equipment. The curtain is made from Sunbrella fabric.
OUTDOOR SHOWER SOURCES
Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware recently sold out of their beautiful free-standing outdoor showers, but here are a few runner-ups…
OUTDOOR SHOWER TIPS
• This Old House has a wonderful guide to installing an outdoor shower, which you can check out here.
• For tips on buying and creating some of the most unique outdoor showers you can imagine, check out W&S Bath's website.
Images: 1: Twig Hutchinson, 2: Hotel Azucar, 3, 5: Sunset, 4: Coastal Living