We couldn't help it. It's in the air! We're cleaning and organizing, and our closet is our main target. This got us thinking about which organization products we've come to regard as essentials in our many closets over the years.
• 1 We regard the Elfa shelving system as one of the most amazing organization tools around--especially for closets. Used in small doses or as a complete solution, we had a system for years and loved, loved, loved it. Prices vary per configuration.
• 2 The switch from plastic to wooden hangers was a bit of a luxury move, but we'd be lying if we didn't say that it makes our whole wardrobe look so much nicer. $3.99 for eight, at Ikea.
• 3 Heavy duty coat and hat hooks, like this brass one from Target, are in our toolbox at all times. Useful all over the house, they usually hold belts, purses, and scarves in our closet. $3.49 at Target.
• 4 This handbag file, also at Target, is supremely useful for our purses. It is quite versatile, though, as we've also stashed all manner of other closet wares in it. $12.99 at Target.
• 5 A good storage box is worth its weight in gold. Especially if you're storing your gold... These natural canvas boxes from The Container Store are some of the best we've come across. $15.99 to $19.99.
• 6 A good, rolling laundry hamper is a must. If you use a laundromat, you may need to go the way of a cart, but if you are lucky enough to have an in-home washer/dryer, this one is pretty deluxe. Neu Home 3-Section Laundry Sorter from Target, $84.99.
• 7 Garment bags help us keep our fancy dresses and clothing we don't wear as often clean, and out of the way. These Skubb bags from Ikea do the trick, if you aren't looking for something that has to be archival and can get past the unattractive name. $3.99 each.
• 8 Shoes. They're always the bane of our closet tidiness. This over-door shoe organizer helps keep them sorted and off of the floor. $29.99 from Home Depot.