Some of you will gasp at the thought of covering up wood floors with a coat of black paint. Some of you will swoon! Whatever your persuasion, we've rounded up some of the most inspiring cases for adding the darkest color to your floors!
Black wood floors come in a myriad of options, from patterned to solid, glossy to matte finish. Whether in the bedroom, living room or bathroom, painted floors add an interesting element to all kinds of decor.
- This photograph from Hotze Eisma, found on Remodelista, illustrates the use of marine-grade Hollandlac Paint from Fine Paints of Europe with a clear varnish on top. I love the not-too-glossy appeal that results from this technique.
- Over at 47 Park Avenue, which chronicles the renovation of a beautiful home in the UK, you can see the progression since the owner moved in. Among his renovations include painting the floor of his bedroom black. Gorgeous!
- Eiglow has a great profile of a home that has incorporated painted wood floors beautifully. They incorporate sparing uses of bright color beautifully, as well.
- For a more rustic look, Decor Pad showcases an entryway with distressed black and white stripes. I love the natural hue of the wood underneath peeking out.
- Anna over at Door Sixteen (also a huge proponent of black walls---I'm a huge fan) posts about these immaculate black matte floors. The floors were refinished by Chris Grohs, who used a technique of treating the raw wood with iron buff, which creates a chemical reaction with the tannins in the wood. With stunning results, as you can see!
- Leave it to Elle Decor to showcase a bold, exciting, and not for the faint at heart example of black and white patterned floors!
- Bungalow Bungahigh found this example of serene black floors from Emmas Designblog, a haven for scandinavian design, and all things black and white. I love the use of pure black and white with pops of warmth worked in---typically with warm woods.
- House Beautiful also brings us a bold and bright example with black and white painted chevron floors. With added pops of turquoise and yellow, this room definitely makes a statement.
- If you're not interested in painting your existing wood floors, Black Oak is an intriguing option. Real Oak Floors in the UK explains that their Junkers Black Oak flooring mimics bog oak, which attains its color from logs that "lie for hundreds of years in a bog."
- Design*Sponge shows us images from "real homes" with painted black floors. It's nice to see a non-professional take on this bold decor maneuver, with beautiful results!