We did some furniture rearranging last week, which got us thinking about the best way to tackle this task. Click below for our tips, and add your own in the comments...
• Have a friend help. It makes moving heavy pieces a lot easier, it provides you with a second opinion, and it gives you the energy to keep going.
• Map out ideas with a sketch or a free online program (like this Arrange-a-Room planner).
• Have a plan, but don't be afraid to change it. We never know what something's going to look like until we see it in place.
• Use your largest pieces as anchors for the space. Move sofas, large tables, and large storage pieces first and rearrange your smaller furniture around them.
• Clear out space. If an arrangement isn't working, try removing one or two pieces of furniture. Many people have too much furniture, and by taking a big item out of the equation you can open up a whole new set of possibilities.
• Don't be afraid of empty space. If you really need a new piece to make your furniture arrangement work, leave that space empty for a little while, and take some time to find the right item.