Name: Ryan Timbrook
Location: West Seattle — Seattle, Washington
Size: 2,500 square feet
Years lived in: 6 months — owned
A little over half a year ago Ryan went on the search for a bright, airy, modern home with an open floor plan. He didn't want a fixer upper, but he was looking for a place that he could make changes to and call his own. One of the biggest renovations he wanted to incorporate into his new home was a workout gym and bike shop.
Ryan has been learning Jujitsu at Seattle's Integrated Martial Arts and wanted to have the perfect space to continue his workout regimen at home. He spent the last couple months having the garage renovated into just that. The other half of the converted garage is a dedicated workshop for his motorcycles.
This home is filled with vaulted ceilings, clean lines and stunning fireplaces. Ryan has kept the colors very neutral and warm with the exception of one big red accent wall that fits in perfectly. It's the kind of place that makes you feel really cozy like you want to curl up on the couch with a good book and a cup of tea. And being in Seattle, there sure is enough days like that to go around. The kitchen is a cook's dream with ample counter space and an incredible island with a built in stove. The whole top floor living area is perfectly set up for entertaining.
Ryan has a few more big plans for his new home, including building a small cottage in the backyard for family and guests, but all in all he has found the perfect open, modern home that he was looking for.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Comfortable living, earth tone colors for comfort and incorporation of modern furniture for style.
Favorite Element: Open space and high ceilings.
Biggest Challenge: Maintaining a big yard in a big city. I just don't have enough time.
Biggest Indulgence: Turning the garage into a workshop and workout gym.
Best Advice: Have professionals paint the house before moving in. Contract out the larger home improvements.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Main wall and ceiling, and trim: White Down
• Accent Closet Structure: Fire Dance
• Master Bedroom: Natures Scenery
• Media Room: Rustic Taupe
• Wool Rug-Craigslist
• Dining tables, chairs and bench-Skarbos
• Bed frame and end tables-Skarbos
• Monrizz LLC (General Contractor)
• Flooring done by Garage Experts
• Garage Floor-Style: Chipped floor look - epoxy base coat. They use polyurea, polyasparic, and urethane top coats for industrial strength. Color is "Rare Earth". Tiling off garage into the house (lowering landing) is from United Tile, color is Lavica 18X18 porcelain with a lappato finish.
Images: Alysha Findley
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.