The public service announcement above horrifically illustrates just how easy it can be for furniture to tip over onto a small child. Whether they are trying to climb a dresser or reach for their favorite book on an upper shelf, kids can exert enough pressure to tip over even large pieces of furniture.
There are a number of very inexpensive anti-tip brackets and straps, all simple to attach onto furniture, televisions, and walls to keep things from tipping over. Here are several well rated and low cost options:
- Mommy's Helper Tip Resistent Furniture Safety Brackets ($4.23)
- Hangman TK-400 Anti-Tip Kit ($10.49)
- Anti-tip Furniture Strap ($6.34)
- Safety 1st Furniture Wall Straps
- KidCo Anti-Tip TV Strap ($10.35)
Did you know the average weight of a turkey purchased for Thanksgiving is 16 pounds? With the door wide open and the rack slid out, a large turkey can cause an oven range to tip over. Fortunately, there are inexpensive anti-tip brackets easy to install yourself. Check the oven model number to see if there is a matching bracket to fit your specific range.
MORE ON SECURING YOUR FURNITURE ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• NY Good Questions: How Can I Attach This To The Wall?
• How to Babyproof Your Flat Screen TV
(Images: as linked above; Shutterstock/wizdata1)